Do’s and Don’ts of a Pedestrian Accident (For The Pedestrian)
Imagine you are walking across the street, abiding the laws of the pedestrian crosswalk, when all of a sudden you’re struck by a car. No matter how it happens, getting hit by a car as a pedestrian is one of the most frightening things to happen to you or a family member. Unfortunately, it’s something that happens far too often here in Arizona.
A recent report published by the Governor’s Highway Association put Arizona towards the top, at the 5th highest state in the country for pedestrian traffic deaths, and that was just in the first 6 months of 2018. The report for 2019 will most likely be published in the first quarter of 2020 and we’re a bit concerned with how the numbers may look.
While some of theses do’s and don’ts may seem obvious, in a time of chaos and trauma they aren’t always the easiest to remember. We hope this helps and we hope that residents in Mesa or anywhere in the East Valley, know that the attorneys at Schenk Podolsky are also here to help. Stay safe out there when walking around, riding your bike, or playing outside. Technology and mobile apps have drastically increased the number of distracted drivers. These sort of things happen in an instant and can have impacts that will last a lifetime. It’s with great remorse when we are hired to handle a pedestrian accident injury in Mesa, but because of that, we fight aggressively to ensure that the individual and the families of the injured are well represented and receive maximum compensations for injuries sustained by the fault of a driver.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Getting Hit by Car as a Pedestrian
- Do: Make sure everyone involved in the accident is okay.
- Don’t: Sign any documents without legal representation.
- Do: Call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.
- Don’t: Discuss the accident with any insurance agencies or take any sort of settlement.
- Do: Collect all information (name, address, phone number, email address) of the person driving the vehicle that hit you.
- Do: Take pictures (if possible) of the accident, including where it took place and the vehicle involved.
- Do: Call an experienced law office like Schenk and Podolsky as soon as possible to discuss what steps need to be taken to ensure a speedy recovery and compensation.
What You Can Do to Avoid Getting Hit by a Car as a Pedestrian
- Always look both ways before crossing the street, even at a crosswalk.
- If you are with young children, be sure to hold their hands or carry them while crossing the street.
- When walking through a parking garage or lot, be sure to listen for cars driving quickly around corners.
- Always use a crosswalk! Most pedestrian-car accidents occur when pedestrians cross the street without using the crosswalk.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a pedestrian-car accident, contact the offices of Schenk and Podolsky to see what action you can take today.