Paying Medical Treatment After Car Accidents

December 23, 2016

Paying Medical Treatment After Car Accidents

A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

Have you been in a major car accident? A small fender bender?medical bills after car accident

When you need medical treatment and time off from work, a lawyer can help while you recover from your car
accident. You may be entitled to money for your damaged vehicle, all medical bills, pain and suffering, and time off from work.

Here’s what to do:

Seeking Medical Treatment

If you were in an accident and now need medical treatment, the first thing to do is go to the emergency room if you are severely injured. If an ambulance is required, don’t worry about your medical expenses because your medical bills are usually paid after you hire an attorney and your court case settles. The first priority is to deal with any medical treatment you may need. If your injuries aren’t too severe and the police who arrive on the scene recommend you go to your local doctor, schedule an appointment. This is common if you have a sprain or neck strain and your doctor can then do an evaluation and recommend that you seek physical therapy or other related treatment.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

When you get home, directly after your accident, you want to contact a personal injury lawyer right away. If you don’t have one, let the hospital or doctor’s office know that you are filing a claim against the person who hit you. Instead of billing you, the hospital or physician’s office will gather all your medical bills and records for your case. That means if you need physical therapy or other costly medical visits, you will not be billed until your case settles – and that’s good news! You want to heal and get better so you can get back on your feet.

It’s best to hire a lawyer right away because they will want to get your statement and the statement of any witnesses to the accident while it’s still fresh in everyone’s mind. The lawyer’s office may also want to take pictures of the accident scene, your damaged vehicle and your personal injuries if you have suffered a severe injury with bruising. This is all part of the evidence that’s used in your case/claim.

Speak to Your Employer

Next up, you want to talk to your job. If you are out of work for a few days or even if its a few weeks, let your job know that you have a medical condition as the result of a car accident that will require time off. Your human resources department may require that you submit a note from your doctor and they can usually fax the note over. This will allow you time off from work. It may be time off with pay, but if it goes into time off without pay, then workmen’s compensation may start to kick in. If not, you may find that your job is safe until you return but you may not have extra income coming in. Again, don’t panic about this. You can speak to your attorney and they will factor into your settlement money, the time off where you were not paid.

Call Your Insurance Company

If your vehicle was damaged, this can be tied into your accident claim, so speak to your car insurance company to get an estimate of the damage. You may need a rental car to get back on the road, or if the repairs aren’t too expensive, pay for them out-of-pocket and give your bill to your attorney so they can add this expense to your case so you can be reimbursed when your case settles.

Ultimately, the goal is to get back on your feet and let your lawyer help with filing your case so you can be reimbursed for your medical bills and expenses. When you need help after a car accident, hire a law firm that can help you with a personal injury settlement. Contact My Arizona Injury Lawyers today!

You won’t pay unless your case wins!