Trip and fall accidents can result in horrible injuries and difficult court cases. If you have been injured by a slip or trip, it is important to understand the guidelines behind trip and fall accidents. Understanding these facets of trip and fall accidents will help you determine whether you have a case, which will then allow you to seek an experienced attorney for your case.
Put very simply, a trip and fall accident is when someone actually trips, slips, or falls on someone else’s property. The cause of the fall could be a wide variety of things including flooring issues (ripped carpeting, wet floor, flooring changes), bad lighting, bad stairs, uneven sidewalk, and so on.
When it comes to finding fault, this is where the most difficult aspect of the case lays. In order to have both a legitimate trip and fall case and to be able to find accurate fault, some questions should be answered.
- Did the owner know about the issue’s danger that caused the trip?
- Did the owner do anything to solve the issue?
- Has the issue existed a long time, been ignored, and was not too expensive to be fixed?
- Were you careless, causing the fall?
- Was the issue something you should have anticipated?
If the fall occurred in a business:
- Did the business know about the issue?
- Were measures taken to warn the public about the danger?
- Did an employee or an official at the business cause the dangerous problem?
If most of these answers point towards the owner of the property or the business, than the chances of having a strong trip and fall case are high. If you suspect it was your own carelessness that may have caused the fall, fault pointing to the owner may be more difficult to prove. With an experienced, knowledgeable attorney on your side, chances for a successful outcome are increasingly higher. Call us today for a consultation about your trip and fall case.